w/c 3rd Sept was Zero Waste Week:
The environmental crisis caused by the wastefulness of the fashion industry is at forefront of current discussion. It is the 2nd most polluting industry in the world and landfill waste rivals the plastic pollution of our oceans.
Visible waste of discarded garments from unworn/unwanted fast fashion is well documented, but this doesn’t include the hidden waste of the ‘chaotic’ fashion supply chain, estimated in 2017 to be at least 2.4 billion garments (approx. 3-5% of 80bn-100bn garments produced per annum)*.
We can no longer even finger point at the high street fast fashion, as recent media coverage discovers fashion’s dirty secret to include Burberry burning some £90M worth of excess stock.
DEPLOY is an innovative clothing brand, founded in 2006 with a mission to make fashion sustainable. DEPLOY pioneers a customer-centric process, reducing the waste endemic throughout the supply chain, starting with designing for end-customers’ needs as opposed to the brand’s agenda.
DEPLOY’s 3 STEPS TO ZERO WASTE:
- Multi-functional design that maximises resources to minimise waste:
We listen carefully to our customers and design timeless, high-quality, and multi-functional garments that conserve resources whilst better serving customers in desirable, lasting ways.
- A customised supply chain that produces and upcycles in the same process:
We produce locally with long-term partners to the highest quality and in small batches to avoid overproduction and enable custom-requirements. At the same time as producing all fabric offcuts are salvaged for reuse in contrast detailing, trimmings making, and into handmade accessories of our sister brand Hennumi Millinery.
- Start from sourcing environmentally; finish with customer service/aftercare:
DEPLOY garments are made with environmentally certified fabrics, can be worn in multiple ways and be further custom-fit or re-designed over-time to update in style, fit, and function. There is minimal left-over stock as DEPLOY clothing is treasured by wearers and end-of-season stock are purchased and valued by customers with less disposable income who also wish to buy into the DEPLOY way of sustainable style.
- Interviewed by BBC World News, Radio and TV on our pioneering way of sustainable fashion
- Selected by the EU as one of the 40 top emerging designers to showcase in Paris, Tokyo, and New York Fashion Week
- A Finalist of the prestigious Drapers Awards and to have dressed guests for the Royal Wedding, and celebrities for the small and big screens.
- “Takes ‘green’ to a new level”_ BBC WORLD NEWS
- “Realises women’s long-standing dream”_ VOGUE
- “It won’t be long before the rest of the world catches on to DEPLOY”_ HARPER’S BAZAAR
- “DEPLOY’s interchangeable clothes are a godsend” _ SUNDAY TELEGRAPH MAGAZINE
- “Exciting innovation and lasting fashion”_ MARIE CLAIRE
Find their listing on Livewell Directory