This delicious Greek spinach and feta filo pastry pie will leave you wanting more.
Large knob of butter
2 red onions, halved and sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
500g spinach washed
2 spring onions, finely chopped
2 tsp fresh chopped parsley
2 tsp fresh chopped dill
A pinch of grated nutmeg
200g feta cheese, crumbled
2 eggs, beaten
4 large sheets filo pastry
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Start by melting the butter in a frying pan and sauté the onions on a medium heat until soft and starting to colour
- Add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes and leave the mix aside
- In a saucepan add the spinach in batches on a medium heat and cook until wilted. Add a bit of butter so it doesn’t burn
- Set the spinach aside to cool and then squeeze out all the moisture from it and add to the onion/garlic mix
- In a separate bowl, mix the nutmeg, feta, eggs, spring onion, parsley, dill and seasoning and add to the spinach mix
- Use a non-stick round baking dish around 25cm in diameter and add the filo sheets one by one brushing them with olive oil and letting the excess hang over the sides.
- Once this is completed, add the spanakopita filling and fold over the excess filo sheets to cover it
- Brush the top of the spinach pie with olive oil and score with a sharp knife
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes until the filo pastry is crisp and golden
- Let it cool down and serve with a delicious Greek salad on the side.